Kenyan citizens need a passport when they want to travel from one country to another, and here is how to apply for a passport.
Passport applications must be made in person at the Embassy. However, parents may apply on behalf of their children aged below 18.
How to Apply for a Kenyan Passport
The first step involves registering on the e-citizen platform. (For first-time passport applicants).
Once registered, proceed to the Immigrations department’s online portal and open the passport application form.
On login, a dashboard with the various services available is presented. Our key area of interest is the Department of Immigration Services as we apply for a passport. On clicking the Submit icon, we are ushered into a portal allowing them to submit their applications.
You then get to choose between a Kenyan Visa or Passport and Temporary permits.
On selecting which application applies to you, you are directed to a page that gives the application guidelines and the costs. You are then asked to apply for a passport. In addition to the cost of the Passport, a service charge of 50/= is incurred for the application.
Please read the form and fill it out as instructed.
Upon selecting, the user must fill in their details, where a number progress line outlines the various steps in the application process.
Upon completing, the user is then asked to review their passport application to confirm if the details were in tandem with their actual representation.
Pay for the application process (Immigration accepts M-PESA, Credit, Debit, and online banking payment modes)
Download the pre-filled application and three transaction receipts.
Physically deliver the application form to the Immigration offices at Nyayo House for processing. Once your application is ready, you will receive an SMS alert, and you can proceed to pick up your Passport.
Requirements for new (First time) applications
- A duly filled application Form 19 and 2 payment invoices
- Original Birth Certificate and a copy for citizens of Kenya by birth
- Certificate of Registration for citizens of Kenya by registration
- Original applicant’s national identity card and a copy for adults
- Copy of the recommender’s national identity card
- Duly filled Consent Form for minors
- Copies of parents’ national identity cards/ Death certificates, where applicable
- Original and Copies of parents’ birth certificates
- And any other additional documentation as may be required
- Payment of the prescribed fee
Types of Kenyan Passports with their Prices
The following is a list of the types of passports in Kenya
|Type of Passport||Number of pages||Amount (ksh)|
|1 Ordinary||A Series(34pages)||4,550|
|5 Certificate for Identity||3,050|
|6 Temporary permit||350|
How to Pay for a Kenyan Passport using Mpesa
- Go to Mpesa
- Select PayBill option
- Enter Business number 206206
- Enter account number HARIMQC
- Enter amount
- Key in your Mpesa PIN and send
- You will receive a confirmation SMS from Mpesa
With the above information, you can easily apply for your Passport without many struggles. Each requirement needed in the application is also highlighted clearly, and the passport prices are according to the type of Passport you need.
You can now go ahead and apply to enjoy travelling anywhere you would wish to.